“English Test – Life in Big Cities” is one among other English Tests that can help learners practice and get used to tests in English. These English Tests cover Reading, Language, and Writing.
Traveling to or from anywhere these days can be an unhealthy and frustrating experience. In big cities, air pollution has reached such proportions that all people suffer from coughs and other chest problems constantly. Also, the urban transport system has become dangerously overloaded. Our roads are blocked by traffic jams, while buses, cars, taxis, and motorbikes fight against each other to get through. Annoyed and tired, drivers drive badly, cause accidents, and even murder one another.
Town planners, however, tell us that everything will soon be different. In the future, according to them, private cars will be prohibited in town centers and be replaced by a new transport system in which all vehicles will be directed by a central computer, and radars will take the place of human drivers. The people movers— a kind of urban cable—the car will carry us high in the air over towns to car parks, bus stations, and railway stations. Pollution will become a thing of the past as all vehicles will have special filters and will use lead-free petrol.
Doesn’t it sound marvelous? I wonder, though, if any of us will be around to see it.
I. READING COMPREHENSION 15 POINTS.
BASE YOUR ANSWERS ON THE TEXT.
A- ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS. (6pts; 2pts each)
1. What is the effect of pollution on people’s health in big cities?
2. Why has it become difficult to drive in big cities?
3. Are town planners optimistic about the future of transport systems in big cities? EXPLAIN.
B- ARE THESE SENTENCES TRUE OR FALSE? JUSTIFY. (6pts; 2pts each)
1. According to town planners, people won’t be allowed to drive their private cars in town centers in the future.
2. Town planners think that human drivers will still be in charge of the new transport system in the future.
3. According to the writer, the problem of pollution will be solved in the future.
C-FIND IN THE TEXT THE SYNONYMS OF THESE WORDS: ( 3pts;1 pt each )
II- LANGUAGE 15 POINTS.
A-SUPPLY THE APPROPRIATE FORM FOR THE VERBS BETWEEN BRACKETS ( 6pts;1.5 each )
1. If the weather is nice tomorrow, I (go) ………..on a picnic.
2. If only I (study)…………. computer sciences when I was younger. 3. Some terrorists (arrest)……….by the police last week.
4. Coca-cola (sell)……. almost everywhere in the world.
B-F FILL IN THE GAPS WITH THE RIGHT PREPOSITION FROM THE LIST: ( 6 pts; 1.5 each )
Away– on–at–in–up–across–into -over- off-for
- The thief managed to get ………with $ 100,000.
- I need to look………the word “engross” in the dictionary.
- They resemble each other. Actually, the son takes……..his father.
- We like traveling……holidays.
C- PUT THE WORDS BETWEEN BRACKETS IN THE CORRECT FORM ( 3 pts; 1 pt each) 1. The film was a great (succeed) …………. It made 40 million dollars.
2. I don’t know which one to choose. It is difficult to make a (choose) ……
3. The tourist made a (complain) ………… about food.
III–WRITING: 10 POINTS
Pollution is one of the biggest environmental problems in the world today. To face this problem is the responsibility of everyone. Write an article for your school magazine explaining how we can reduce pollutants.