Unit 2: Humour
Vocabulary Related to the Unit
- Humor: Something said to cause laughter
- A Joke: A short story that causes laughter
- Humorous: Amusing, funny, and laughable
- An impression: An amusing imitation of a famous person
- To make fun of someone: Laugh at someone in a mocking way
- To kid: To make jokes or to joke with someone
- Silly: Funny in a stupid way
- Witty: Funny in an intelligent way
Positive emotions or feelings: Joy – gaiety – delight – cheerfulness – merriment – vivacity – calm – satisfaction–
enthusiasm – optimism – jubilation.
Negative emotions or feelings: Anger – despair – depression – loneliness – sadness – frustration – worry – fear
Idioms: positive feeling/mood:
- Lift one’s spirit
- Things are looking up
- Walk on air
- Someone’s spirit rises
Idioms: negative feeling/mood:
- To feel quite down
- Someone’s heart sinks into the depths of despair
- To be low
Functions: Expressing Lack of Understanding and Asking for Clarification
Show Lack of Understanding
- I beg your pardon.
- I beg your pardon, but I don’t quite understand.
- I’m not quite sure I know what you mean.
- I’m not quite sure I follow you.
- I don’t quite see what you mean.
- I’m not sure I got your point.
- Sorry, I didn’t quite hear what you said.
- Sorry, I didn’t get your point.
- I don’t quite see what you’re getting at.
Ask for Clarification
- What do you mean by…?
- Do you mean…?
- Could you say that again, please?
- Could you repeat it, please?
- Could you clarify that, please?
- Would you elaborate on that, please?
- Could you be more explicit?
- Could you explain what you mean by…?
- Could you give us an example?
- I wonder if you could say that in a different way.
- Could you put it differently, please?
- Could you be more specific, please?
Functions / Communication: Making Request
A request is asking someone politely either for something or to do something.
- Can /could you + infinitive…
- Would you mind + gerund…
- Could I possibly…?
- I’d be grateful if you could…
- Can I request…?
- Have you got time to…?
- I have a request ……….
- I wonder if you can/could … Do you mind if …
- I need some help with…
- Do me a favor. Will you? ………
- lend me a hand with…
- If…, that would be a great help.
- Yes, Feel free
- of course, With pleasure
- Yes, sure.
- Yes, of course.
- Certainly yes.
- With pleasure.
- Sure, don’t worry.
- Sure, no problem.
- I am awfully sorry
- No, You/I can’t
- Oh sorry, I can’t.
- I just can’t, I am sorry.
- I am afraid, but I can’t.
- Certainly not.
– Speaker 1: Could you please help me with this exercise?
Speaker 2: Yes, of course.
– Speaker 3: Do you mind going with me to the market?
Speaker 4: No, I don’t mind (accepting request)
-Speaker 5: Would you mind giving your brother a lift downtown?
Speaker 6: Yes. (refusing request).
– Speaker 7: I wonder if you could possibly repair this engine?
Speaker 8: Sure, don’t worry
Grammar: Modal Verbs
This lesson is thoroughly discussed here: MODAL VERBS
Give us the Listening lessons(audio) of Ticket 2 English, please. Thanks a lot
Sorry. I had them once but I don’t know where they are now.
you can provide your own listening materials.
I have the tracks. Where do you teach ?
Thanks Ssi Abdelali. why don’t you upload them or send them to me then I can put them here in the server with direct links
thank you for the great work.
it’s a duty Mr. Dnia 🙂
Thanks a lot for the great effort.
With pleasure 🙂
It’s a pleasure 🙂
Thank you a lot Mr Nabil
thanks a bunch
With pleasure 🙂
thank you bb
With pleasure 🙂
Thnx a lot dear teacher a teacher from mohammedia
thank you so much JAZAKA ALLAH KHAYERAN
PLZ SI NABIL WHAT ABOUT WRITING IN UNIT 2 ANY HELP ABOUT IT THANK YOU
Did u check the writing section in the website?
Hi teacher i need the pdf link if you don’t mind thanks
thnks u teacher but what about writing
I’ll put it today or tomorrow incha Allah
What about writing teacher ? Thanks alot for your help Mr Nabil
Check the writing section and you will have all what you need
I couldn’t find writing about funny icident , is it there teacher ? Sorry for taking from your time . You are a great teacher , thanks alot .
The stuff I have concerning writing is here ya Aissam
By the way, you are not disturbing me at all. 🙂
you are always saving us Thank you so much
That was the purpose 🙂
Thank you so much teacher for the great effort 🙂
You are welcome Miss Rajae
THANK U SO MUCH TEACHER FOR THIS GREAT JOB U REALLY HALP TO START A NEW UNIT WITH A SPEACIAL AND GREAT IDEAS.THANK U
Mkamaaal katjawb 3la kolchi hahaha thx so much
thank u sooo much sir
Thank you very much my teacher for your behavior