Gateway 2 Unit 3: The Gifts of Youth
Gateway 2 Unit 3: The Gifts of Youth
Vocabulary: Qualities Of Youth
- Adventure: willingness to take the risk.
- Imagination: the mental ability to form new ideas.
- Passion: intense enjoyment, interest, or excitement.
- Ambition: a strong desire to do or achieve something.
- Vigor: physical strength or good health.
- Creativity: the ability to generate new methods or innovative ideas.
- Vitality: the state of being strong and active.
- Talent: natural aptitude, ability, or skill.
- Audacity: courage, fearlessness, disposition to do something.
Some Youth Think Adults Are: old-fashioned, intolerant, severe, bossy, undemocratic, mean, nosy, authoritarian
Some Adults Think Youths Are: rebellious, intolerant, strong-headed, thoughtless, careless, immature, untidy, disobedient, adventurous.
an Idiom is an expression that cannot be understood from the meanings of its separate words. It rather has a separate meaning of its own. here are some examples:
- Rain cats and dogs: to rain heavily. It’s raining cats and dogs.
- In the bag: Certain or extremely likely to occur. Don’t worry about the final exam. It’s in the bag.
- Dead loss: something described as a dead loss is absolutely unsuccessful or useless (a complete failure) When it comes to maths, my sister is a dead loss.
- With flying colors: easily and excellently. They had their exam with flying colors.
- Be a cold fish: be a person who is distant and unfeeling. He rarely talks to his colleagues. He’s a cold fish.
- A bad penny refers to a person or thing which is unpleasant, dishonorable, or unwanted that is likely to reappear, particularly at inconvenient times.
- Hard to swallow: something Hard to swallow is Difficult to believe
What is a Complaint?
A complaint is expressing displeasure or discontent about a situation or an event.
How to Make a Complaint?
Making complaints can be done with different statements or expressions that introduce your displeasure or discontent. A direct complaint can be considered rude or even impolite.
- I have got a bit of a problem here, you see…………………
- I am afraid I have to make a serious complaint
- I just don’t know how to say it but,…………………………
- Look, I’m not really satisfied with the way you…………
- I am in the obligation of saying that……….
- I have a serious complaint about………….
- I have been patient long enough, but……………
- I want to complain about….
- Excuse me if I’m out of line, but…
- There may have been a misunderstanding about…
- I’m sorry to bother you, but..
How to Respond to Complaints
A- Accepting Complaints
- I do apologize for…
- I must apologize for…
- I apologize for…
- I’d like to apologize for…
- I am so sorry for…
- I shouldn’t have…
- It’s all my fault.
- I’m ashamed of…
- Please, forgive me for…
- Excuse me for …
- I’m terribly sorry for…
- Pardon me for this…
- Please, forgive me for my….
- Please, accept my apologies for…
B- Rejecting Complaints
- Well, I’m afraid there is nothing we can do about it actually.
- I’m afraid there isn’t much we can do about it.
Grammar: Phrasal Verbs
Phrasal verbs consist of a verb + a particle (preposition, adverb). The particle can change the meaning of the verb completely. For example::
- look up – consult a reference book (look a word up in a dictionary)
- look for – seek (look for her ring)
- look forward – anticipate with pleasure (look forward to meeting someone)
to see a list of phrasal verbs click on PHRASAL VERBS
Writing: Cause and Effect Essay
Click on this link to see How to Write a Cause and Effect Essay
barakallahou fika wa jazaka koulla khayr.
wa jazaka Allahou koula khayr Adil
thank you sir for your endless efforts.
Do you mind if i use your lessons and exercises with my students bro? plz
thanx dear teacher. great effort!!
all the best
lam afm ostad li hada darss wa l2n 3ndi fard mokin mosa3ada
thank you teacher for help me
You are welcome
I’m making a presentation about this unit ! Can I get some advices?
If you are going to talk about the vocabulary, then you can base your presentation on the qualities that distinguish youth from other periods of life.
You can also talk about some gifted youths as well.
U r a gr8 help to us gr8 teacher. Allah blesa u.
The greater is you great supplication (Duaa).
Mr NAdil please i have an exam tomorrow about this unit and i don’t know what i should revise for writting
This depends on what your teacher told you he or she is going to examine you in. I cannot tell you anything about that.
We just do a writing about the difference of the generation that’s it what can you give me like a advice from revising and thank you so much
Then I think he/she would give you a writing about generation gap.
Merci Monsieur. Quelle abnégation !
thank you sir . what about the writing ?
It is here:
I need reading p40
Sorry I didn’t get what you mean.
what about the plan you think will bring about some positve changes in your school
you don’t have any exemple for me please ?
I did not get your point
what a good language you do have!keep going sir
this is a very helpful website
Ty <3 for sir keep going
[…] exercises are meant to be Unit Gifts of Youth Review, which is part of Gateway 2 English 2 textbook. They deal with vocabulary, reading, grammar, […]