Baccalaureate National Exam 2021 July Sciences
 “Everyone was leaving the village where | grew up, and it was all because of water shortage,” says Jamila Bargach. Her village in Sidi Ifni in rural Morocco has known severe drought. However, this region has one precious resource: fog. “We began to read about fog collecting projects around the world, and we decided to try it here as we have on average 143 days of fog a year,” says Bargach.
 The fog is caused by a unique microclimate. The air turns into heavy fog, particularly between December and June. For years, the community saw this as a bad thing: they believed the fog prevented rainfall and made people sick.
 The fog collecting project in Dar Si Hmad consisted of using nets to capture the fog at an altitude of 1,225 m on the top of Mount Boutmezguida. About 6,300 liters of water can be collected daily. The water is then filtered and mixed with underground water before it reaches 400 people in five villages through 8km of pipelines.
 The benefits of the project are obvious: clean water is instant and free for the population. “We used to spend at least five hours going to collect water every day in neighboring villages. This made it very difficult for us to go to school because it’s just accepted by everyone that it’s a woman’s job to go and get water,” says Zeyna Hamou, a local woman who works as a coordinator for Dar Si Hmad project.
 The idea of collecting fog was first developed in South America in the 1980s and there are other projects in the US and Africa. Dar Si Hmad is planning to install the next generation of fog nets, developed in Germany. These larger nets will double the amount of water collected and connect other villages to the network.
 In recognition of its contribution to finding solutions to climate change, Dar Si Hmad was awarded the 2016 UN Momentum for Change award. The project members traveled to receive the award at the COP22 climate change conference in Marrakech.
I. COMPREHENSION (15 POINTS) BASE ALL YOUR ANSWERS ON THE TEXT.
A. CHOOSE THE RIGHT ANSWER. (1 pt)
The text is about
1. the causes of fog in Dar Si Hmad.
2. the effects of illiteracy in Dar Si Hmad.
3. a solution to water shortage in Dar Si Hmad.
B. ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS. (3pts)
1. Why were villagers leaving Dar Si Hmad?
2. Why was it difficult for women in Dar Si Hmad to go to school before the project?
3. How much water is collected from the fog nets every day?
C. ARE THESE STATEMENTS TRUE OR FALSE? JUSTIFY. (3 pts)
1. Before the project, villagers had a negative attitude towards fog.
2. Villagers have to pay for the water they get from the fog collecting project.
3. Morocco was the first country to set up a fog collecting project.
D. COMPLETE THE SENTENCES WITH INFORMATION FROM THE TEXT. (3 pts)
1. Before it reaches villages, the water collected from fog is………..
2. ………. Will increase the amount of water collected.
3. Dar Si Hmad got the 2016 UN Momentum for Change award for ………..
E. FIND IN THE TEXT WORDS THAT MEAN ALMOST THE SAME AS (3 pts)
1. serious (paragraph 1): ……………………
2. exceptional (paragraph 2): ………………….
3. collect (paragraph 3): ………………..
F. WHAT DO THE UNDERLINED WORDS IN THE TEXT REFER TO? (2 pts)
1. this region (paragraph 1): ……………………
2. they (paragraph 2): ………………….
Il. LANGUAGE (15 POINTS)
A. FILL IN THE GAPS WITH THE RIGHT WORDS FROM THE LISTS. (4pts)
1. You should ……………your sister’s advice. She’s more experienced.
notice – bring – take
2. I ……………….. your photo while I was looking at some Facebook profiles.
brought up – turned down – came across
3. .Scientists believe that Earth is getting warmer ……………. gas emissions.
as – because – due to
4. We need to go to a cafe …………… Internet connection is better.
where – who – which
B. GIVE THE CORRECT FORM OF THE WORDS IN BRACKETS. (2 pts)
1. Internet (safe) …….. Has become a priority for all users.
2. Why did you (conclusion) …………….. your essay with an idea that has nothing to do with the topic?
C. PUT THE VERBS IN BRACKETS IN THE CORRECT TENSE. (2 pts)
1. Poor Janet! She (break) ……… her arm when she was skateboarding last week.
2. Although Soumia and Rachid (know) …………….. each other for only one month, they are already thinking about getting married.
D. REWRITE THE SENTENCES AS INDICATED. (3 pts)
1. “Let’s share the photos with the rest of the group,” Samira said.
Samira suggested ………………
2. . The students organized the graduation ceremony in the school library.
The graduation ceremony ……………..
3. Mouhcine moved to the city center. He wanted to be close to his office.
…………. in order to …………….
E. MATCH EACH EXPRESSION TO ITS APPROPRIATE FUNCTION. (2 pts)
1. “What do you think of my performance today?”
2. “It’s sunny! Why don’t we go for a walk?”
3. “I need your phone to make a call.”
4. “How should I insert a video in my PowerPoint presentation?”
a. asking for advice
b. responding to request
c. asking for opinion
d. making a suggestion
e. making a request
F. WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IN THE FOLLOWING SITUATION? (2 pts)
You gave your friend your laptop and she/ he deleted some of your documents by accident.
You: (complain): ……………
Your friend (apologizes): ………………
II. WRITING (10 POINTS) DO TASKS 1 AND 2
TASK 1: (4 pts) Complete the following paragraph.
There are many things we can do to make our school beautiful and clean. First, ………………
TASK 2: (6 pts)
Covid-19 has seriously affected the whole world.
Write a short article for your school magazine about the social and economic problems which Moroccans have faced because of this pandemic.
Key Answers to Baccalaureate National Exam 2021 July Sciences[tds_partial_locker tds_locker_id=”20101″]
I COMPREHENSION (15 POINTS)
Testees should not be penalised for spelling or grammar mistakes in the comprehension section.
A.THE RIGHT ANSWER (1pt) 3.a solution to water shortage in Dar Si Hmad.
B.WH QUESTIONS: (3 pts; 1pt each)
1 …. because of water shortage /the drought/no water resources.
2. …. because they had to collect water every day in neighbouring villages/ it was accepted by everyone that it’s a woman’s job to go and get water.
3. ….. 6,300 litres.
C. TRUE /FALSE (3 pts; 1 pt each) (1 pt each: 0.5 pt for the right choice and 0.5 pt for the right justification. Consider the justification ONLY ifthe choice iscorrect. Quotes from the text are acceptable.)
1. True. They believed the fog prevented rainfall/ made people sick.
2. False. Water is free for the population.
3. False. The idea of collecting fog was first developed in South America/other projects in USA and Africa.
D. SENTENCE COMPLETION: (3 pts; 1 pt each)
1. …filtered and mixed with underground water.
2. Installing a new generation of fog nets ….
3. ….its contribution to finding innovative, community-led solutions to climate change.
E. WORD MEANING: (3pts; 1pteach)
F. WORD REFERENCE: (2 pts;1pt each)
1. village in Sidi Ifni/Sidi lfni
Il. LANGUAGE (15 POINTS)
A. GAP FILLING: (4 pts; 1 pt each)
2. came across
3. due to
B.WORD FORMATION (2 pts; 1pt each)
C. VERB TENSE: (2 pts; 1 pt each)
2. have known
D. SENTENCE REWRITING: (3 pts; 1 pt each)
1. … sharing /that they/we (should) share the photos with the rest of the group.
2. … was organized in the school library.
3. Mouhcine moved to the city centre in order to be close to his office.
E. FUNCTIONS: (2 pts; 0.5 pt each)
F. APPROPRIATE RESPONSES. (2 pts) Accept any appropriate response.