Baccalaureate National Exam 2012 June Sciences
 Ruth accepted with pride her certificate for nursing care from her teacher at a vocational school. That certificate meant a lot to her. When asked why she took up nursing, she explained, “I come from a broken home. My parents divorced when I was in my early teens and I had to drop out of school to help care for my brothers and sisters. Then my father got cancer when I was 16 and I cared for him until he died at our home. Not long afterward, my sister also became ill with cancer and after a few years she passed away. I got married and began having children while doing different jobs to support my family. I kept dreaming of receiving an education and being able to support myself, but I was never able to go back to school. “
 “I think education is very important for my children’s future. So I worked hard and saved up enough to pay part of private school tuition for my eldest son, Tom. He earned the rest in scholarships because he had good grades. It was very difficult, but it was the only way he had a chance of attending university and having a real career. “
 “I’m now 45 years old, my husband is suffering from a mortal illness and we have three children still in high school. My dream is to be able to send them all to university, but as things were, it wouldn’t have been possible. I’ve worked in caring for the elderly my whole life. But a better salary always requires certification to prove that you are educated in health care. Therefore, I could never negotiate my working conditions or salary since my employers considered me unskilled. “
 “When I heard of this nursing course, I was very worried as I hadn’t studied anything for a long time. I was sure I couldn’t keep up, but our teacher had a lot of patience. At the beginning, she explained everything in simple words so I could understand, and with time my vocabulary and understanding developed. The nursing skills I’ve learned here at this school have enabled me to demand a better salary and improve the quality of life for myself and my family.”
I. COMPREHENSION ( 15 POINTS)
BASE ALL YOUR ANSWERS ON THE TEXT
A. ARE THESE SENTENCES TRUE OR FALSE? JUSTIFY. (4 PTS)
1. Ruth dropped out of school because she wanted to get married.
2. When Ruth got married, she stayed at home to take care of her children.
3. Ruth’s eldest son, Tom, was a good student.
4. All her children have finished high school.
B. COMPLETE THE SENTENCES. (2 PTS)
1. Receiving an education was
2. Ruth’s husband can’t work because
C. ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS. (4 PTS)
1. Where did Ruth study nursing?
2. How did Ruth’s father die?
3. Why couldn’t Ruth negotiate her salary before she studied nursing?
4. How did Ruth’s teacher help her?
D. FIND IN THE TEXT WORDS OR PHRASES THAT MEAN THE SAME AS: ( 3 PTS)
1. return (paragraph 1) : . . . . . . . .
2. old people (paragraph 3) : . . . . .
3. make better (paragraph 4) : . . . .
E. WHAT DO THE UNDERLINED WORDS IN THE TEXT REFER TO? (2 PTS)
1. he (paragraph 1) : . . . . . .
2. them (paragraph 3) : . . . . .
II. LANGUAGE (15 POINTS)
A. FILL IN EACH GAP WITH AN APPROPRIATE WORD OR EXPRESSION FROM THE LIST. (1 PT)
1. Jamal . . . . . . do part-time jobs when he was a student.
was used to – used to – used
2. The writer . . . .. . . novels were translated into many languages won the Nobel Prize.
whose – who – which
B. REWRITE THE SENTENCES BEGINNING WITH THE WORDS GIVEN. (3 PTS)
1. “ You did well in the competition,” the coach said.
The coach told the swimmers. . . . . . . . .
2. The committee selected two films for an international festival.
Two films . . . . . . . . .
3. Our team didn’t qualify for the final match because they didn’t play well.
If . . . . . . . . . , they. . . . . . . . .
C. PUT THE VERBS IN BRACKETS IN THE CORRECT TENSE. (3 PTS)
Ahmed (work) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . as a waiter for 15 years in Spain before he (start) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . his own business three years ago. At present, he has some financial problems because of the economic crisis. He wishes he (can) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . find someone to lend him money.
D. FILL IN EACH GAP WITH THE CORRECT PHRASAL VERB FROM THE LIST. (2 PTS)
turns down – goes through – calms down – comes back – breaks down
Tim: What does your father do when his car . . . . . . . . ?
David: Guess what? He gets very furious and starts shouting. But he soon ……. and calls a mechanic.
E. GIVE THE CORRECT FORM OF THE WORDS IN BRACKETS. (2 PTS)
More and more parents are worried about their children’s (addict) . . . . ..to computers and smartphones. They say that these means of (entertain) . . . . . . .are isolating them from the real world.
F. JOIN THE FOLLOWING PAIRS OF SENTENCES WITH THE WORDS GIVEN. (2 PTS)
1. Many people learn computer skills. They want to get better jobs. (so as to)
2. Taoufik had family problems. He couldn’t concentrate on his work. (because of)
G. COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING DIALOGUE. (2 PTS)
Manager: Can I help you, sir?
You: (complain about the bad service in the restaurant) . . . .
Manager: (apologize and promise to talk to the waiter) . . . . .
You: Thank you.
III. WRITING (10 POINTS)
The emigration of skilled workers is a real problem for their countries of origin. Write an email to the
editor of the website www.globaldebate.org in which you explain why these people emigrate and suggest
ways to encourage them to stay in their own countries.
Key Answers to Baccalaureate National Exam 2012 June Sciences
I. COMPREHENSION (15 POINTS)
Testees should not be penalized for spelling and grammar mistakes in the comprehension section.
A. TRUE/FALSE (4 pts) (1pt each: 0.5 for the right choice and 0.5 for the correct justification)
1. False. She dropped out of school to help care for her brothers and sisters…
2. False. When she got married, she did different jobs to support her family…
3. True. He had good grades…
4. False. She has three children still in high school…
B. SENTENCE COMPLETION (2 pts: 1pt each)
1. ……. Ruth’s dream/what she kept dreaming of/…
2. ……. he is suffering from a mortal illness.
C. WH. QUESTIONS. (4 pts: 1pt each)
1. (She studied nursing) at a vocational school.
2. (He died ) of cancer.
3. because she was considered unskilled/she didn’t have a certificate
4. She explained everything in simple words.
D. WORD MEANING (3 pts: 1pt each)
1. go back (para.1)
2. elderly (para.3)
3. improve (para.4)
E. WORD REFERENCE (2 pts: 1pt each)
1. My father/Ruth’s father
2. (Ruth’s three) children
II. LANGUAGE (15 POINTS)
A. GAP FILLING (1 pt: 0.5 pt each)
1. used to
B. SENTENCE REWRITING (3 pts: 1 pt each)
1. …………that they had done well………
2. …….were selected…….
3 If ……..had played…, ………would have qualified……
C. VERB TENSE (3 pts: 1pt each)
(had) worked/ had been working – started – could/would be able to
D. PHRASAL VERBS (2pts: 1pt each)
breaks down – calms down
E. WORD FORMATION (2 pts: 1pt each)
addiction – entertainment
F. JOINING SENTENCES (2 pts: 1pt each)
1. Many people learn computer skills so as to get better jobs
2. Taoufik could not concentrate ……… because of his family problems./Because of his family problems, Taoufik could not concentrate…
G. COMMUNICATION FUNCTIONS (2 pts: 1pt each) Accept any appropriate answer