Baccalaureate National Exam 2012 July Sciences
 Saadia is 39 years old. She has lived in a poor area in Oued Zem with her husband for the past 20 years and now has five children. She started her professional career in Casablanca, working in a factory during the day and weaving carpets at home in the evening. However, after the birth of her first child, she had to quit her job in the factory to take care of
 “I was working day and night to produce goods to sell around Casablanca at very low prices. I know that my products were worth more but I had no other option, just like all the other women from our area working for shoe and shirt makers,” Saadia said.
 This experience convinced Saadia of the importance of women’s contribution to family budgets. “When a woman brings money into the household, it changes the way she is looked at. Women are more respected for taking part in the household finances and can then take more decisions within the family,” she says.
 Saadia met members of the Near East Foundation in 2006 and enthusiastically took the opportunity to encourage women in her area to create an artisans’ cooperative. She was quickly chosen for the presidency of the cooperative given her profile, her capacity, and leadership abilities. Despite her family obligations, she has taken modern and traditional sewing lessons that she is currently teaching to other members of the cooperative.
She has provided assistance to all the training workshops organized by local authorities, focusing on administrative and financial management.
 Saadia is now strongly convinced of the success of the cooperative. “It is true that in the beginning, some men underestimated women and said that the cooperative would not last. But we have learned how to fight back and develop knowledge and skill,” she says.
 To promote the cooperative’s success and reputation, Saadia asked its members to organize an exhibition in June 2007, which was a great success. Thanks to her will and courage, this ambitious woman has been able to set an example and give hope to other women in marginalized areas.
I. COMPREHENSION (15 POINTS)
BASE ALL YOUR ANSWERS ON THE TEXT
A. ARE THESE SENTENCES TRUE OR FALSE? JUSTIFY. (3 PTS)
1. Saadia could not go on working in the factory after she had her first child.
2. Saadia earned a lot of money from selling her products
3. Saadia became president of the artisans’ cooperative thanks to her personal qualities.
B. ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS. (3 PTS)
1. Where did Saadia start working?
2. How are working women regarded by their families, according to Saadia?
3. Why did Saadia ask members of the cooperative to organize an exhibition?
C. PUT THE FOLLOWING EVENTS IN THE CORRECT ORDER ACCORDING TO THE TEXT.
THE FIRST ANSWER IS GIVEN. (3 PTS)
a. Saadia became president of the artisans’ cooperative.
b. The artisans’ cooperative organized an exhibition.
c. Saadia met members of the Near East Foundation.
d. Saadia worked in a factory in Casablanca.
1.→ d 2. →…… 3. →…… 4. →……
D. WHAT DO THE UNDERLINED WORDS IN THE TEXT REFER TO? ( 3 PTS)
1. I (paragraph 2) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
2. she (paragraph 3) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
3. which (paragraph 6) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
E. FIND IN THE TEXT WORDS OR PHRASES THAT MEAN ALMOST THE SAME AS: (3 PTS)
1. choice (paragraph 2) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
2. contributing to (paragraph 3) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
3. help (paragraph 4) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
II. LANGUAGE (15 POINTS)
A. FILL IN EACH GAP WITH AN APPROPRIATE WORD OR EXPRESSION FROM THE LIST. (2 PTS)
1. Your results weren’t satisfactory last semester; you’d better…………………………. harder.
to work – work – working
2. Do you know a good technician …………………………. repairs computers?
whose – who – which
B. FILL IN EACH GAP WITH THE CORRECT PHRASAL VERB FROM THE LIST. (2 PTS)
write down – turn up – calm down – go through – fill in
Samir: Why do you look so confused?
Jalal: I really don’t know how to…………………………. this application form.
Samir: Oh come on! …………………………. your name first and I’ll help you with the rest.
C. REWRITE THE SENTENCES BEGINNING WITH THE WORDS GIVEN. (3 PTS)
1. “We have known each other for a long time,” the suspects said.
The suspects told the police officer . . . . . . . . .
2. Muslims celebrate Aïd Alfitre on the 1st of Choual.
Aid Alfitre . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
3. I couldn’t send the photo by e-mail because I didn’t have a scanner.
If I . . . . . . , I. . . . . . .
D. PUT THE VERBS IN BRACKETS IN THE CORRECT TENSE. (2 PTS)
I (buy recently) …… my daughter a laptop to help her with her studies. But she often spends much more time with her computer than with us. I wish I (can) ……. take it away from her.
E. FILL IN EACH GAP WITH THE CORRECT WORD FROM THE LIST. (2 PTS)
culture – education – literacy – opportunity – skill
People who didn’t have the……… to go to school can join ……… classes, where
they can learn reading, writing,, and numeracy.
F. JOIN THE FOLLOWING PAIRS OF SENTENCES WITH THE WORDS GIVEN. (2 PTS)
1. I like studying alone. My sister prefers working with a group. (whereas)
2. Great efforts were made by the municipality. Our city has become cleaner. (thanks to)
G. WRITE APPROPRIATE RESPONSES TO THE FOLLOWING SITUATIONS. (2 PTS)
1. John: Brain drain can be turned into brain gain.
You : (Ask for clarification) . . . . .
2. You: (apologize for not doing your homework) . . . . . .
Teacher: That’s Ok, but you have to bring it tomorrow.
III. WRITING (10 POINTS)
Should parents limit and control their children’s use of the internet or should they allow them to use it whenever they want?
Write a short article to be published in your school magazine expressing your opinion. Give arguments to
support your view.
Key Answers to Baccalaureate National Exam 2012 July Sciences[tds_partial_locker tds_locker_id=”20101″]
I. COMPREHENSION ( 15 POINTS )
Testees should not be penalised for spelling and grammar mistakes in the comprehension section.
A. TRUE OR FALSE (3 pts; 1 pt each: 0.5 pt for the right choice and 0.5 pt for the right justification)
1. True: After the birth of …….she had to quit her job….
2. False : ….to produce goods to sell around Casablanca at very low prices .
3. True: She was quickly chosen for the presidency… .given her profile and/or her capacity and /or leadership abilities
A. WH-QUESTIONS (3 pts: 1 pt for each appropriate answer)
1. She started working in a factory and/or in Casablanca/at home
2. They are more respected (and can make more decisions …..)
3. …….because she wanted to promote the cooperative’s success and reputation.
B. ORDERING EVENTS (3 pts: 1 pt each)
C. WORD REFERENCE (3 pts: 1 pt for each correct answer)
2- a woman
D. WORD MEANING (3 pts; 1 pt for each correct answer)
2. taking part in
II. LANGUAGE (15 POINTS)
A. GAP FILLING (2 pts: 1 pt for each correct answer )
B. PHRASAL VERBS (2pts; 1 pt for each correct answer )
fill in – write down
C. REWRITING SENTENCES (3pts pts; 1 pt each correct answer)
1. ……. they had known each other ……
2. Aid Alfitre is celebrated on the 1st of Choual.
3. If I had had a scanner, I would have sent/ would have been able to send
D. VERB TENSE (2pts; 1 pt for each correct answer )
1. I have recently bought/I recently bought
2.could/would be able to
E. COLLOCATIONS (2pts; 1 pt for each correct answer )
F. SENETENCE JOINING (2pt; 1 pt for each correct answer )
1. I like ……whereas my sister prefers ……
2. Our city has become cleaner thanks to the great efforts made by the municipality.
G. COMMUNICATIVE FUNCTIONS (2pts; 1 pt for each appropriate answer)
Accept any appropriate answer